Monday, October 27, 2008

It's my turn to care for her


The last 3 weeks have been full of emotion and worry. I have not talked about this on my blog before now as my mom didn't want to worry people and asked me not to say anything. I don't call it people being worried, I call it extra prayers being said on her behalf.

This summer my mom decided to see the doctor due to a slight pain when swallowing. It was determined she had a mass in her throat. A Biopsy was done the week before she left on her Boston trip. While in Boston the doctor called saying the tests came back inconclusive. After returning home a CT Scan was ordered. It showed a large tumor on the right side of her thyroid. On Oct. 15th surgery was done to remove the right side of her thyroid along with the tumor. The tumor was larger than expected and had attached itself to her trachea wrapping around it. The surgeons were able to remove the entire tumor with no damage to my mom. Last week tests revealed it was indeed Papillary Thyroid Cancer. She went back into surgery today for removal of the entire thyroid and the right side(neck)lymph nodes. The surgery went well, and she is being monitored in the ICU to check her calcium levels the next 24 hrs. and can then move to a recovery room. In 6 weeks she will do a Radioactive Iodine treatment and this should wipe out any remaining cancer cells. This is a very curable cancer. My mom has been in high spirits, and very positive.

I will be flying to be with her this Saturday and it is now my turn to care for her. She's stood by my side through thick and thin and I want to stand by her and help her now. I Love You MOM and I'm Coming HOME!!!!!

14 comments:

Jill Stones said...

Jill, my heart goes out to you at this time. In July I lost my mother, needless to say apart of me is missing. Everytime I look at my baby girl I am reminded of everything my mom did for me. I pray for you to have the strength you need and for you mom to recover. Jill stones

Todd and Megan said...

Please give my love to you mom. Let her know that she is in our thoughts and prayers...

Mindy M. said...

I heard about your mom and I was worried all day yeaterday to hear the outcome. I am glad to hear she is doing good and things went well! Your family is in our prayers. Take good care of her and hope everything will be okay.

Emily said...

We love your Mom so much! She will be in our thoughts and prayers. I am glad that you get to go home and spend some time with her! Tell her we love her and are thinking of her at this time :)

Laurel said...

I am glad your dad insisted your mom call my mom...we are all worried and care about her. I am glad she has you to take care of her. Hope and pray all goes well.

Char said...

You have such a wonderful mom. We will certainly be keeping her in our prayers! I'm sure you'll still have many more years to enjoy her wonderful company. Bless her with future treatments. Enjoy your time caring for her.
Char and boys

Veronica said...

Jill, thanks so much for your phone calls to update me on your mom's recovery. I have thought of her constantly since she and I spoke on Sunday night. She is like a sister to me and you girls are like my own. I am glad you are going down to care for her! Make her take it easy and you wait on her....be firm!!! Your mom has been my friend for almost 30 years and I couldn't have made it through the hard times in Colorado without her by my side. Some of my happiest memories are with Chris! Chris is the BEST and WONDERFUL in every way. You are all in our prayers and especially Chris! Love you all.

Ashley said...

Jill,
I am so sorry to hear about your mom. We will keep her on our prayers. I am so glad you can go to be with her. I know what a very special reletionship you have with your mom and I am sure she will be so happy to have you there with her. Have a safe trip! Also, how did you know the boys were going to be stormtroopers for Halloween? The card was PERFECT! They could hardly sleep last night. In fact I finally had to take it away so they could sleep. Then the first thing out of their mouths this morning was "Where is our card mom!?" Love you,
Ashley

Jill said...

Ash,
We didn't know they were going to be stromtroopers until we got your card. We had already picked out that card and thought the would love it. Mainly just because of the music!!!! So glad they had fun with it. Love you guys too!!!!

The White House said...

Our thoughts and prayers are with you all. I hope it all goes well for your family.

steve and lisa said...

Hope your mom is doing better! What a scary thing to deal with. Glad you are flying down to take care of her! She is an amazing woman! Have a safe trip & we will keep you & your fam. in our prayers. Love Lisa

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that we were able to visit your mom this week in the hospital. It was so good to see that she was recovering well. She's strong and she'll make it through just fine. When you told me last week I was so scared for her. I love your mom so much. She's always been there when I needed her--especially the day that I brought Jackson home. :) Your mom and dad are such a good example of a loving couple. They're my inspiration in my marriage. :) I love you all. Can't wait to see you this week. Your mom is in our prayers every night!!
Beverly

Kathy said...

Jill, what a good daughter you are! So sorry your mom has to go through this. Aren't the seasons and stages of life interesting. Through it all I think a major part of life is just caring for each other. Being there through thick and thin. Best wishes for your mom!!

allredclan said...

I think in times like these our moms are grateful to have wonderful daughters whom they have taught to be compassionate and full of love. Sometimes it's nice to "pay back" moms for all they do for us. I hope things go well. Having a positive attitude is everything in times like these. =) Hang in there and let your mom know that we are thinking of her.