I have been watching the news all day with reports from Joplin, MO. Our local news reporters are down there and the video is just awful.
My family used to drive through Joplin as we made our way from Texas, to Warrensburg, Missouri, to visit my grandparent's. I remember thinking, every time we drove through Joplin, what a beautiful place it was. The pictures I have seen today of that beautiful town just make me so sad.
This one just hit too close to home!
Our wonderful Stake President sent the following email out tonight:
Dear Brethren and Sisters,
A series of deadly tornadoes swept through the Midwest Sunday, killing at least 116 people in nearby Joplin, Mo., which received the worst of the severe weather. This tornado is one of the ten most deadly tornadoes of all time. Here is a link to a news release from the Church:
http://newsroom.lds.org/article/midwest-hit-by-string-of-deadly-tornados?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+LDSNewsRoomTop15+%28RSS%3A+LDS+Newsroom%29
All missionaries in the area are safe and accounted for -- but the Joplin MO Stake Center was destroyed. Local priesthood leaders are assessing needs and determining opportunities to assist with response efforts. Church members have already begun to assist with cleanup. We have offered our full support, and we will be coordinating relief efforts involving our Stake in the near future. In the meantime, we ask that we unite our thoughts and prayers in behalf of those affected by this disaster.
Most sincerely,
Left the Stake Presidency's name off for privacy reasons
I pray for the wonderful people of Joplin, Missouri. I am grateful we will have the opprotunity to serve them somehow.
Banana Split Pudding Cups
6 months ago








2 comments:
Jill, just yesterday Mom and I were talking about how close to you guys this was. So heartbreaking.
It was just so awful! So sad! More bad storms tonight for us. Makes me nervous!
Post a Comment