Tuesday, December 15, 2009

The Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade 2009

It truly felt surreal to be standing on the streets on NYC watching the huge floats and huge balloons, with millions of people. I couldn't believe we were there. It was a dream come true for me! The girls LOVED it, we all LOVED it!! Even Miss Molly would wave at every balloon and float that went by. We met a group of 12 ladies from Louisiana. Their daughter's were in the National Jump Rope Team that was in the parade. I love people from the south! They were so much fun to spend the parade with. Had me laughing the entire time!

Jer and the girls went down to get a spot in outside our hotel in Times Square around 6:15. It was already filling up so they walked 4 blks. down to 7 Ave. and 42st. He'd brought a little suitcase down with pillows wrapped in garbage bags(so they wouldn't get dirty) from the hotel so the girls could lay down. He also took garbage bags down to spread on the sidewalk to sit on. So....those sweet Louisiana gals thought this poor man was homeless lying with his 2 girls on the street. They came over and offered to buy them Hot Cocoa. So funny!!! I laughed and laughed when they told me that. HA!

I met them at their spot at 8:30 after having to be escorted by a NYC Policeman to them. I had stayed up in the room to let Molly sleep longer and left the room at 8:00am. Police were no longer letting people cross the streets, and I had 4 to cross down. I finally found a cop who would listen to me. Tears were in my eyes as I told him I would just die if I didn't get to be with my family for the parade. Jer was on the phone telling me where he was at. The cop led me to him, although we were across the street. I had to climb over the metal barricades. It was a lovely site!!! The cop said he'd hold Molly while another cop helped me over. Of course, Molly screamed the second I handed her off. It was a moment to remember as there were hundreds of people watching this all play out. :)
Here I am coming across the street. Cops back behind are the ones who helped. Thank You NYPD!

By the way, we couldn't have asked for better weather during the parade. It was overcast, but in the 50's. Not bad at all!!

The parade didn't make it to us until around 10. It was fun watching the sidewalks fill with people.
We enjoyed getting to know the ladies from Louisiana, and then we started hearing the sirens of cops. The parade was coming!!! We were all so excited.
The first Balloon was Spiderman! Molly was yelling and waving "Hi, Spiderman". So cute! She would yell out each Balloons name as it went by.

Here comes the first float

The Macy's Parade Chairman giving everyone high fives as he walked by.

I didn't realize Jane Krakowski was on the float, until it was almost past us.

OK, I've decided not to post every single picture with description. I don't have the time. So here is a slide show of the 2009 Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade!!! It was neat seeing the Sesame Street Gang(Maria, Gordon..etc. very cool to me),Jane Krakowski, Mitchel Musso (aka Oliver from Hannah Montana),Cyndi Lauper, Jimmy Fallon(he was so interactive with the crowd),Miss America, Kristin Alfonso(Hope from Days of our Lives), Kathryn McPhee(didn't recognize her at all, she looks so different now),Carly Simon, Andrea Bocelli, and others. What an incredible event to attend with our children. I will remember it forever!

No comments: