Monday, November 26, 2007

I'm Thankful for my sweet Grandma Watkins


In August my Grandma Watkins came back to Missouri from Nebraska. She'd started the later stages of Alzheimers, and needed to move into a nursing home. I was grateful to have her so close, only an hour drive, so I could visit with her. The past 3 months we drove down often to visit with her. Of course, the visiting was mostly one sided, as she no longer recognized or talk with us well. I do think deep down she knew who we were, or at least knew we were loved ones coming to visit. She was doing OK when she first came out, but then took a fall from her bed breaking her hip. She had surgery in late September. The girls and I visited in the hospital and she was so happy to see the girls. She gave them huge smiles and wanted to kiss their hands. Sadly, she began to decline rapidly, and developed an infection from her surgery. On Wed. Nov 14th I got the call that she wasn't going to be with us much longer. Molly and I rushed down to see her. I sat by her bed for 2 hours and memories flooded my mind of years past. Happy memories when all the family would gather for Thanksgiving at Grandma and Grandpa's house in Warrensburg, MO. Grandma always loved having everyone together. My dad flew in Wed. night, and my Grandma passed away on Friday Nov.16th with her 4 children by her side. I'm grateful my Grandma no longer has to deal with the memory loss that has been so difficult for her, but it was so hard to say goodbye. My Grandpa passed away very suddenly from a stroke on Dec. 2nd 2004, so now they are both gone, and it's been hard to realize they are no longer with us. It was very hard to see my dad and his siblings so sad, and missing their parents. I'm so grateful for the wonderful memories I have of my grandparents, and that my children have of their great grandparents. Kenzie and Madi were very sad to see Grandma go. Kenzie sang Families Can Be Together Forever at the funeral. It was beautiful, and the perfect song. My Grandma was amazing and I can only hope to become the wonderful woman she was. I love you Grandma!

1 comment:

Ashley said...

What a special picture to have. Madi and Kenz look so small! MISS YOU GUYS! LOVE YOU!